We know that there are specific points in any career (executive and non-executive) where some additional guidance and direction can make all the difference. Our Six Step mentoring programme will match you with high-quality, experienced mentors within our network for a defined period. Our mentors can guide and support you to address specific career challenges; develop a more structured approach to your professional executive career; or create your strategy to take your non-executive portfolio to the next level.
Mentors are a confidential, independent sounding board who share experience and knowledge relevant to your situation. They allow you to put issues into perspective and consider various possibilities in a fresh light. Mentoring is about becoming more self aware, taking responsibility and directing your life and career. If you are ready to develop a strategy and take concrete steps to proactively progress your career, this programme could offer the boost you require to succeed.
Why might I need a mentor?
It is easy to concentrate on the urgent, day-to-day issues in your roles, both at work and at home, which can come at the expense of progressing your longer term objectives. Mentoring may help you move past issues such as (but not limited to):
- Has your career progression stalled at mid/senior level?
- Are you isolated in a male-dominated professional environment?
- Is returning after a career break proving challenging?
- Do you need a ‘career pivot’ to refocus your skill set to suit our changing environment?
- Are you considering a portfolio career, or wanting to take your NED portfolio to the next level?
- Would you benefit from some guidance on being effective as a NED and managing complex boardroom situations?
Whether it is one of these or another career challenge that you are facing, we will listen to your needs and match you with a mentor who is best equipped to support you.
“I’d thoroughly recommend the Women on Boards mentoring programme. I found the process hugely helpful. I’ve achieved some excellent outcomes, tips and advice and it has helped me to develop professionally and personally.”Jo Field, Head of Campaigns and Stakeholder Engagement, Transport for London.
About the mentors
We currently have ten mentors in the UK from a range of sectors, all of whom are well known to Women on Boards. Some are executive directors in full-time roles, some are portfolio NEDs and some are professional mentors and coaches with board experience.
Each mentor has expressed a desire to take on mentoring work to share their knowledge and expertise and to assist women to realise their potential in leadership and directorship roles. The match between a mentor and participant is managed by Women on Boards, in discussion with the participant, during the enrolment stages.
Mentoring programme delivery
The ‘six step’ programme is as follows:
- STEP ONE: An introductory questionnaire and discussion with the Women on Boards team to recommend a mentor, based on your needs and goals.
- STEP TWO: Meet your mentor to define goals for your mentoring, as well as the focus and schedule for the following sessions. There is the option to move to a different mentor if a ‘fit’ is not realised.
- STEPS THREE to SIX: four one-hour mentoring sessions which are bespoke to you. There is the option to purchase additional mentoring sessions, by agreement.
Our Six Step Mentoring programme would normally be completed within 5-8 months. Sessions will be arranged at times of mutual convenience, via Zoom, phone or face-to-face (if you are able to travel to a convenient location for your mentor).