We know our approach works – 8 of our members secure a new NED role every week. This workshop shares how you can do it too.
You will come away from this highly practical session with a strategy to secure a NED role. This workshop has been specifically designed to simplify governance and, importantly, to refine your board pitch – which is what will aid you in securing the roles.
We will focus on targeting the more competitive and remunerated positions, and how to overcome the ‘experience trap’ if you do not have prior NED experience. During the session, we will also briefly consider how to best approach non-executive headhunters.
You will identify where and how to pitch yourself as a non-executive, guided by:
- Fiona Hathorn, Founder and CEO of Women on Boards UK,
- Vanessa Sharp, Women on Boards Presenter
Specifically, you will consider and receive expert advice in a limited group of your peers on:
- the role, duties and legal responsibilities of director and protecting yourself as a non-executive director;
- which type of boards will value your skills and align with your goals;
- where to find the opportunities, including how best to approach non-executive headhunters;
- what boards are looking for, in terms of both hard and soft skills;
- your individual boardroom value-add and how to pitch yourself as a prospective NED.
The workshop is practical, strategic and interactive. Participants are engaged and supported by the Women on Boards team and encouraged to make use of our wider “network of influence”.
Suited to people:
- Thinking about or already on a board
- Seeking strategic and practical advice
- Looking for an influential support network
- Looking at long-term career options
Co-founder and CEO, Women on Boards UKFiona is the CEO of Women on Boards UK alongside advising a number of different boards and organisations. Currently she is an Advisory Panel Member for the FRC (Financial Reporting Council), advisor to Peel Hunt (mid-cap stockbroker) and Chair of Hanx‘s Nominations Committee (FMCG start-up). She is an expert in the areas of Governance, Regulation and Talent Management who has sat on both marketing and audit & finance committees. Fiona was formerly a director for Hill Samuel Asset Management. She has advised the board of the Thai Euro Fund and is a Judge for the Non Executive Director Awards, sponsored by The Sunday Times. In 2020 Fiona joined King’s College London’s ‘Global Institute for Women’s Leadership‘ Advisory Board.
Presenter, Women on Boards UK
Vanessa is a non-executive director and risk, legal, compliance and governance professional. She has a background in the regulated professional and financial services industries. Formerly Vanessa was General Counsel and Partner of KPMG where she created the General Counsel function in the UK and Europe and played a critical role in the structuring, governance and risk management of the firm throughout extensive changes nationally and internationally.